Sunday, June 27, 2010

Men's Clothes into Cheap Girl Clothes

Being a huge fan of DIY any excuse I have to make something I take. I work at the Michigan Renaissance festival and I love making my own costume bits. Living at home for the summer is so nice since my little sister (Like my little brother only little in age) and her expensive sewing machine are home for the summer too.
My latest project was a skirt made from the sleeves of men's dress shirts. I stumbled across a tutorial on ThreadBangers.com (Video Tutorial)

My skirt wound up looking a little different than theirs:


Eventually I will post pics of myself modeling the skirt. It hits just above my knee and makes my legs look long. And every short girl knows any item that makes you look taller is a good thing. Also since I used white shirts I have to wear a slip underneath it because the skirt is a little see through. Though my decision to use the white shirts instead of colored ones was the tie.



The beautiful shiny forest green with the gold Fleur de Lis just tickled my fancy. I love the look of the Fleur De Lis, and since I am part French I consider it part of my extremely mixed heritage. Upon finding this tie at GoodWill I knew I was going to use it for Something. Even if I didn't know at the time what it was. I wound up making belt loops for the tie out of the button hole side of the shirt. Originally I was going to just tack the tie to the skirt but this allows me more freedom with the colors I can use.

Now I just need a cute shirt to wear with this skirt, on the plus side I already have the perfect shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment