Friday, September 10, 2010

Now into the School year

For most of us school started on the 7th of September. Of course before the semester began there were a hundred thousand things to do. Packing, moving, making arrangements with room-mates, catching up with friends, checking the location of classes...etc. Since I rarely do things the easy way I compounded my Labor day/Moving in weekend with working at the Michigan Renaissance Festival. Go me!

Despite my mother's insistence to concentrate on the upcoming semester, I can't  not work Festival. Especially Labor Day weekend because Monday our booth manager takes the day off every year and I get to be the boss lady. Plus festival is good for my soul and my confidence. It is only there that I get hit on, and frankly I enjoy getting the high that you get from someone appreciating your appearance. It's probably left overs from being an extremely late bloomer. In the wrong outfit I still look like a 13 year-old boy in drag.

But it's not just the compliments that keep me coming back. Everyone their treats each other like a huge family and we all look out for one another. For example when I had a shitty day I was able to go to my friends at festival and be greeted with hugs and assurances. Even the people I knew only as acquaintances were loving on me just because I had a horrid day. The other reason I love festival is because there is a an attitude of acceptance. No one cares about your race, your background, your family history, or even your religion. It is one of the few places I have seen an atheist, a pagan, and a Christian discuss their individual beliefs without anyone being offended or even annoyed. The final reason I return to festival every year is Men in Kilts

The Guys of Tartanic

In other news my final year of School is off at a ridiculous high speed. Currently I am on top of things and being good. I got all my reading done for the week because I decided to go dancing last night at Cafe Habanas weekly Salsa night! Sooo much fun even though I'm not a great dancer. I can dance but I have a bad habit from my martial arts training that I try to anticipate the moves of my partner and react before they occur. This ends up with me trying to lead but still doing the follower's steps. And everyone ends up confused. Luckily by about 11pm the dance floor is so crowded I can blame my missteps on the people knocking into me.

Another part of prepping for the semester was moving into my new apartment. Hopefully soon I will be able to borrow a camera and post pics of my new room. Not gonna lie, it looks kind of like a bachelor pad since it's decorated with all dark colors (black and chocolate brown) and posters of city skylines. But I brightened it up a bit with silver accents and tea lights. So it works. And I love it. Plus I have a full size bed which takes up almost all of my pocket sized room so I can stretch out when I sleep or have a sleep over with the girlfriends scheduled to come visit me.

Finally it was my birthday over the weekend! I celebrated my B-day all weekend long while working at festival. There is a tradition at festival that if you pin a dollar to your shirt to indicate it's your birthday then people will give you more dollars to add to the collection. I made 18$ and determined that since it was my birthday money I decided to spend it on something I absolutely don't need:



I have noticed that one of the big trends this fall in footwear have been clogs. This worries me since even back in the 90's when all my little friends were stomping around in clogs I only pretended to like them and behind every one's back called them Herman Munster shoes. I'm willing to give these a shot for 3 reasons. 1) on sale for 20$. 2) With the open toe and the heel strap they look a little more streamlined than the old school pump. 3) My rocker style is attracted to the studs.

Hopefully they will arrive next week and be comfortable enough to rock to class and/or work.

I really need to start posting more often so I don't have these ramble-y posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment