Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday Lust - Corsets

Like so many others I have a problem. I long for items I cannot afford. Fortunately, my upbringing has hobbled me when it comes to impulse buys. When I spend money it's when I go out with the purpose to shop for a specific item or I limit my budget severely. For example my spring break shopping trip this year was limited to 100$ (not including my swimsuit).  While this keeps my wallet happy I fall into the occasional puddle of lust.

The point of this is to bring you Monday Lust. Where I post the items that are clogging my shopping list in the hopes that confession is good for the soul (and wallet).

Today (and for the past five years) I have been looking at corsets. Once upon a time corsets were required for women to appear beautiful (and faint at the appropriate dramatic moments), and because no-one had taken the time to invent the bra.* In more modern times the corset was considered fetish or wedding night wear. But recently the "corset top" has become more popular. Is it bad I want to say I was wearing a corset before it was cool? It's true.

Working at the Renaissance festival led to my first expensive purchase. I laid down a good 300$ (a fortune to 17 year old me) for a gorgeous satin corset in black and gold.
Me with Mike from Tartanic

I fell in love with corsets. Suddenly my boy-ish figure looked like a woman. I had curves and cleavage dammit! Since then I have been craving to purchase additional corsets. Next on my list is a simple over-bust corset in black leather (insert dominatrix joke here).  I think with the right jacket I can wear it out in "normal situations" (though I think I will avoid wearing it to church).  One such corset can be found HERE

The other corset I am currently lusting for is an under-bust corset to complete my steam punk costume. Yes I am that much of a nerd and I love it. The problem with the under-bust corsets is that I cannot decide which one I want. Today I stumbled across a company called Dracula Clothing that has really nice corsets for really good prices.  So if anyone wants to help me make a decision for a new corset you can vote for:

A. The Leather Over bust

B.  The Pointed Under bust (Which I would get in black of course)


C. The Military Inspired Corset

Please vote by writing your choice on a memo line of a check (suggested donation is ten dollars). Or remove the choice from my hands completely by purchasing any of the above corsets for me (I wear a size 18).


*Fun fact: in the early to mid 1800's it was thought that a corset was a medical necessity. The reasoning was that women were the weaker sex and despite having been fine for the past 1800 years they needed the support to stand. (Eve didn't wear a corset) Since girls were forced into corsets as early as 4 years old and were unable to develop the back muscles to keep themselves standing by the time the average girl reached her teen years it became a self-fulfilling prophesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment